Buttercream is a simple frosting used to decorate cakes and cupcakes. By varying a few ingredients, the frosting possibilities are almost endless.
Basic Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
- 100 g butter or margarine (at room temperature)
- 200 g icing sugar
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 15 ml milk
- Cream the butter / margarine and vanilla essence using an electric mixer.
- Add the icing sugar, in two portions and mix well after each addition until a smooth consistency is obtained.
- Add the milk and beat at high speed for about 5 minutes.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
- Replace 50 g of the icing sugar with 50 g cocoa powder and 5 ml chocolate essence (optional) to the buttercream recipe.
Flavoured Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
- For lemon or orange flavoured buttercream frosting, replace the vanilla essence with 10 ml of either lemon or orange essence.
- You can replace the vanilla essence with any essence of your choice to obtain your desired flavour!
Coloured Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
- For a coloured buttercream frosting, add liquid or gel food colouring drop by drop until the perfect colour is obtained.
- For a perfectly white buttercream, normal margarine or butter will not do due to the yellow appearance. Check the packaging and look for a white margarine suitable for icing.
See the video tutorials below for piping perfect cupcakes.